Monday, August 14, 2006

Camping at Rend Lake

Dear Sumant !!

First of all let me wish you a Happy Independence Day on 15th of August tomorrow. I had a terrific weekend, I went camping to Rend Lake. It's a man made lake some 42 miles from Carbondale and one of the biggest in southern Illinois. On first day we went swimming, camped overnight, cooked egg omelets, on second we rented mouse boats, did trap shooting and again swimming in the lake. It was the first time I did trap shooting and was fun. The person who assisted us at the shooting range was Jim and was a very friendly and patient guy. Out of curiosity I asked about the size of the shrapnels and he obliged with getting a cardboard box for me to shoot at. It was mindblowing to see so many tiny little holes that one shot made and help you appreciate that how much damage can one short could make. Also it makes you more modest about your shooting abilities because it's not one a single bullet but 100s of little shrapnels you fire. So this was my second camping in less than 1 month, the last one at current river was awesome. Besides tubing one of the most memorable part was eating hobo and smores. Hobo are delicious and pretty easy to cook. All one needs is a silver foil, some vegetables, spice and a camp fire to cook. The other great American dessert is smores. Smores are like a cookie sandwich of marshmallows, graham cracker and hershey's chocolate. They taste great and are a perfect camping dessert. As I write this to you I see a DVD of "Eight below" on my right side. Another Disney movie and I liked it. Before viewing it I thought the hero will go back to save his dogs within a week or so against all odds but it was about dogs who survive themselves against all odds for more than 6 months on their own.

That's all for now
Sumant Sumant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter