Sunday, February 04, 2007

Forgetting Backpack

Dear Sumant,

Last Wednesday an amazing thing happened, after I reached my class I discovered that I am not carrying my backpack. It was hilarious. The reason was I was wearing a 10 pound jacket and there were only 10 minutes to reach to class and so I forgot. I have got lots of book from the library and some of them I been renewing for now almost more than a year. I got these books in the first place by searching on amazon and various libraries on ilnet. I usually used them as reference but recently my appetite to finish has increased manifolds. I am reading like crazy and which is a good sign. Three books which I plan to finish are Keith Devlin's Sets, Function and Logic, Ravi Vakil's Mathematical Mosaic and Peter J Eccles's An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning. The other side books I am reading are Dr' Euler's Fabulous Formula, When Least is best, The imaginary tale and few other books on different topics. It's an amazing feeling that I am able to read with pleasure these wonderful books. I think I have grown mathematically mature after analysis and linear algebra, abstract algebra and discreet mathematics. Because I very vividly remember when I first saw Eccles's book I was uncomfortable with many topics which now when I browse now seem interesting because I have encountered them in some of the above classes. I really cannot tell you that how happy I feel learning this stuff. It makes you realize that how many wonderful things people discovered and there is always this Aha effect whenever one sees a good proof. Like yesterday for the first time I discovered the proof that "Principle of Mathematical Induction" and "Well Ordering principle" are related and one can be derived from the other. I been doing mathematical induction since my high school days but never knew this connection. Well I got to know well ordering in only when I took Math 452.

That's for now
Enjoy your Sunday
Sumant Sumant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter