Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Changing ways I get news

Dear Sumant,

Few days back I was thinking how much change has taken place in the way I get my news. I got addicted to News I think around grade 9th or 10th. I used to love reading Times of India, then there was The Hindu newspaper which debuted in New Delhi and I loved it for its articles, editorials, international coverage plus Wednesday supplement of science and technology, the young world on Saturday and the travel and art supplement on Sunday. Around early through mid 1990s was one of the times where both print and electronic media were undergoing a revolutionary change in India and I was very excited about that. The government in 1996 was seriously considering DTH but it just didn't materialize. The censorship issue of Star Movies and petty lawsuits by some unknown lawyers were my first dose of how much freedom of speech and thought we respect in India. I remained faithful to print media before going to bhiwani and then it was also a time when the fledgling internet was taking roots. More and more media companies started offering 24 hr news channel and I loved it. Some of the channels I loved were BBC, CNN and business news channels like ABNi, CNBC. Discovery was another favorite of mine. During ST more of my news was through online media like rediff.com, nytimes.com, cnn.com and timesofindia.com and I was reading more and more of screen. Fast forward few years and in US they become my primary source of news. Till CNN started the video feeds. I was once again back to watching news but this time online. I got bored of CNN as its too much crime report specific. They get one news and they broadcast it to death. Only four types of news make sense to them bashing the republicans, following some celebrity, covering a tragedy or murder news in some boondocks of America. In between I also discovered businessweek.com and to this day it remains my favorite. I am a voracious readers of most business magazines and most of my reading is done online. With the advent of news.yahoo.com and news.google.com its more now reading from these sites or sometime I would just read the transcripts from the CNN as it saves time than just sitting and watching it. I just discovered diggs.com and I think this is the favorite along with slashdot.com. I am just a news junkie. I also love Reuters for their much better coverage of international affairs than either of BBC and CNN.

Best regards
Sumant Sumant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter