Thursday, May 31, 2007

Jefferson the genius

Dear Sumant,

Right now I am in Faner lab sitting at the very last row. I came here to finish several things. Call it Quadrant II activities. I have to update my address at several places including ISS, Old National and on web. I have brought with me the book on Galois Theory and I hope to read it. Yesterday I read about Jefferson, Darwin and Gandhi. Today I took time to read about Shakespeare. I will try to summarize what I learn about these geniuses. So wasting no more time lets understand Jefferson.

Jefferson was the 3rd US President and a man who is at the center of proclaiming that all men are created equal and have a right to live, liberty and pursue happiness. This was a deep statement in times of ubiquitous slavery. Even though he didn't free the 35 slaves he inherited he treated them well and his efforts eventually help eliminate slavery. Jefferson loved books and had a personal collection of over 10,000 books which he later sold to make way for Library of Congress. He was an avid reader and surrounded himself with smart people. Before becoming president he served as a vice president under John Adams. Jefferson also championed religious freedom and was very proud of that bill. Among his major contribution is setting up Virgina University. The first university outside church in America. He was a lean strong gentleman who lived a fruitful life. He was married and devoted to his wife till her death and never married again though he did have fling with other women including an African American woman and there is a controversy regarding the lineage. The character of Jefferson inspires us to think big for the society. His contribution to help people realize that everyone is equal and contribute to society had a massive effect in the US society. His thrust on education lead to America becoming one of the most humane and enlightened country in the last two centuries.

Best regards
Sumant Sumant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter