Friday, June 30, 2006

12 new words

I am elated that I have been able to keep my promise of learning five new words every day, which means that I am not being feckless a word I learned yesterday which means being irresponsible. Here is the list Exhort, Extant, Expatiate, Facetious, Fatuous, Feckless, Distrait, Disinterested, Dissemble, Disabuse, Din, Discomfit and Chimera.
To Exhort is to request earnestly and Extant is something which is still existing. So lets start with some Facetious but not Fatuous sentences. What I mean to convey with these two new words is to make playful, funny sentences but not absurd or something which is stupid. To be facetious means is to be playful, humorous and not being serious while Fatuous means innanely foolish. To exhort is to incite, to make urgent appeals for example coaches in the soccer cup have been known to exhorting their team to give their best. The word Distrait is pronounced more like "distray" and I found this sentence on thefreedictionary.com "When she did not occupy her accustomed chair at the seminar, Freud felt uneasy and distrait". To be distrait is to be inattentive. Another good sentence I found on wiktionary is "I noticed that after my host had read it he seemed even more distrait and strange than before". So to feel distrait is to feel inattentive because of anxiety not because of boredom or carelessness. Another word which comes to mind is disinterested which is frequently misused as inattentive. The sentence "The exit poll company has been using the latest advances in the theory of statistics to make their results as disinterested as possible". Which should give you the drift that it means unbiased.
Continuing our words starting from letter D, here is one another great word to express ourselves in fact it means to conceal. The word is dissemble. To dissemble is to feign or conceal one's true feelings, motive or facts. The devil dictionary has one great definition "To put a clean shit upon the character" and there is one more sentence "So when should you be honest and when should you dissemble? " A quick search on google got some more sentences here are few to savour "Perhaps it was right to dissemble your love, But -- why did you kick me down stairs?". "See George dissemble. No, I'm not talking about our president but George Will". " He who is passionate and hasty is generally hoest; its is your cool dissembling hypocrite, of whom you should beware". "Rage cannot be hidden, it can only be dissembled. This dissembling deludes the thoughtless, and strengthens rage and adds, to rage, contempt". "He was and open, candid personality who did not dissemble his thoughts, and the public respected him as a politician who was unusual in the sincerity of his views". " However, like that litttle Mexican boy, I learned to dissemble my anguish and sat as quiety as I could, hoping that no one would notice I did not like the food". " In the years since he joined Today in 1987, Humphrys, 61, has perfected the abitility to extract the truth from those who aim to dissemble. Moving on to next D word we have is Disabuse. To free from a falsehood or misconception: I must disabuse you of your feelings of grandeur. The word is pronounced as two words dis and abuse rather than the 'sa' sound one may expect, it is dis+abuse. "Some people are still not disabused of the old idea that the universe revolves around the earth". "I always thought that those two were sworn enemies, but seeing them behave in such a friendly manner has disabused me of my notion".

Here is one great website which lists almost 3400 words that are for GRE preperation and I think should be part of my everyday vocabulary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter