Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Reading and other passions

Dear Sumant,

One of thing I been trying hard is to get my parents and my sister to read the 7 habits of highly effective people. It has been an uphill struggle so far. I don't know why its so difficult for some people to read and finish a book and not coming out changed person. I have given this book and recommended it to scores of people. I first read this book in 2002 and since then I have now read it many times over from cover to cover. It has a profound influence on me. One other guy who influenced me without knowing it was Ashutosh who used to live in Jia Sarai. It was about changing our mood. He used to keep some books by Akio Morita, Kim bu chung and Norman Vincent etc and whenever he used to feel the negativity has started to taken over him he would read some of these authors. I grasped that idea and been using it to great effect. To me its surprising that anybody who doesn't get changed by reading books because when I look back than I can find tons of books which help shape me the person I am and whenever I read new book I am usually able to see the kind of new effect it has on me and that's why I am excited abot reading books. I am very fortunate that here at SIUC I have access to almost any book I see in the market for free.

Yesterday I was reading "Euler- The master of us all" and about his work. Euler published a lot of mathematics. Many of his books, paper and letters became classic. One of which included some 200 letters he wrote for German Princess. I guess thats what most people who learn mathematics have in common. The joy of seeing through a proof is something indescribable and sometimes it makes me wonder about all those people who dismiss this subject as dry, I can only think that they never had good teachers to show them the beauty or they just don't like to think. They miss one of the deep joy of knowing how things work. Its like seeing a tremendous mountain or a huge deep blue lake or ocean which illicit a response of aha.

Br,
Sumant Sumant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter