Thursday, May 03, 2007

My traipse on Maya Angelou at SIU

Dear Sumant,

It's just 1 more week to go before this semester ends. At this pt of time ask anybody and their favorite wish is the same. Yesterday I went to Nelson's place to look for the apartment I will be moving in around 12th of May. It's a nice and clean looking place and I think I will stay there for 3 months. Yesterday Maya Angelou visited the campus. It's funny that I didn't know that how famous she is. The line for people wishing to get to hear was enormous. More than 1200 people wanted to see her speaking. I didn't know much about her and had little interest in what she had to offer in terms of spiritual enlightenment. I did go over the wiki and to me it seems that her story will be another rant on racism and prejudices she struggled with. Which to me just bring back bad memories of past and buttress animosity. While reading today's edition of Daily Egyptian it confirmed that. I am very much for people who inspire other but I think most of the role model that African American's are just too focused on their personal struggle with racism and poverty rather than hundreds of other who could be a much better role model in inspiring their community, like for example Prof. Saleh or Astronaut Higginbottha.

Best regards
Sumant Sumant

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter