Sunday, February 17, 2013

Slumdog millionare

So after almost 4 years this movie came out I finally watched it. Gloria recommended me this one in fact when she realized that I haven't watched it, she went out of the way and gifted me the DVD. In spite of all this coercion it took me more than 3 months to watch it. I guess I have been disappointed with lots of Bollywood movies, especially their crass dialogues and social attitude that has alienated me. This Christmas break I did watch few Hindi movies because Piyush wanted to watch it and some were better than I expected and I think that nudged me to give Slumdog millionare a chance.
   It's a Bollywood movie though shot mostly in English. The story line is about a kid from slums who ends up being a contender at 'Who want's to be a millionaire' show and does pretty well before the final question. The anchor of the show is in rage that how can an illiterate slum boy could answer all his questions. So he is in prison and being tortured. However our hero is a truthful guy who just happens to have experiences which allows him to answer these questions. There are some lovely songs and I would say i did enjoy the movie. Its not all rosy however. Growing up in slums, seeing the Hindu Muslim riots and seeing kids being maimed so that they bring more money to their masters who have enslaved them does stir your soul and you are awakened to the misery of innocent kids which we try not to think of. The movie does have a sad-happy ending


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter