Saturday, February 09, 2013

Public talks are fun talks

I recently gave a talk on India at my school. I am glad that I did. Last time I did a talk for Children was when I was at Ashok Hall and there I talked about the ideas of Circle of Concern and Circle of Influence. Basically it says that we should only work under our circle of influence, anything over which we have no control should be left alone and by working more and more inside our circle of influence we expand it and sooner or later we are even able to influence things which didn't fell under circle of influence. This is one powerful idea and has changed my life in many ways.
  The talk which I gave at my school was focus more on the geographical features and customs of India. I started with the map of India and how one can easily remember the map if one visualize oneself having one arm on the side and other outstretched carrying a book. I talked about river Ganges, Thar dessert, Kanchanjanga mountain, Backwaters of Kerela, Statues of Gomiteswara, Nano Car, Diwali,Holi, National symbols etc. In the end I gave them a quiz and it was very encouraging that they could answer all the questions. Including like how high is Kanchanjunga to where the dessert of Thar. Even they remembered the name of under $2000 car called nano. It certainly become more vocal after they realize they could get Hershey's Kiss me for each correct answer.

 However the best reward of that talk has been exchanging smiles by those lovely 7-8 years old as they enthusiastically greet in the hallway Mr. Sumant and you know that you have touched the life of them in some positive way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter