Sunday, March 18, 2012

Zubi Zubi, Dance Dance and Jimmy Jimmy

It was in 1988s. Me and my friend Vikram used to play video games on Samurai game console and listen to these songs on his double cassette player. After the advent of youtube I tried unsuccessfully to find this song till it surfaced here recently. I never saw the movie but it was a cult classic in 1980s. I still vividly recall I had a ring with Disco embossed on it and my maternal grandfather joked about it. Mithun da ws Iconic disco dancer. One day my buddy Vinod, Vikas and I went to his movie Mujarim. As a kid my dad wasn't a fan of new bollywood. I remember an amusing incident. After acquiring my first walkman I borrowed a cassette from my friend Ruchir and the name of the movie was Love 86 and its bawdy lyric "Oh miss de de kiss aaya ha love 86 ..." totally infuriated my Dad and he was convinced that I am on the way to mediocrity. As I mentioned before that I never saw Zubi Zubi song before so recently probably 2 months ago when I watched it for the first time. I was surprised about its salacious picturization. To me I always thought it was like Jimmy Jimmy. Mind you I only watched Jimmy Jimmy for the first time in 2008 but these songs were on radio during 1980s and I grew up humming those during the mornings of 1983s to 1990s before the advent of television as the constant morning companion. So here its for your enjoyment the video I was grooving in my teens.






While Raj kapoor is quoted as the earliest bollywood ambassador, I think Mithun da might be the first bollywood hero to have quite a following in pockets of former soviet republic as evident from dubbed dance dance movie songs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter