Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My brief encounter with ISKCON in Carbondale




Last to last saturday I attended a house gathering of ISKCON people. It was amazing that there were people who have dedicated their full life for the cause couldn't come up with convincing reason for their action. Having read Bhagavad Gita I was ecstatic that there will be some people who could guide me about what has so enamored them so much that they have left their previous lifestyle to live a more ascetic life. He couldn't talk much about the life changing passage in Gita other than few sanskrit words like Vaikuntha and Ananda. All he was saying was about how the life will be wonderful in Vaikuntha and how the company of people he has metmet has given him joy. Alas some people take refuge into other religion (in this case krishna consiousness) to sound more intelligent without appreciating what it stands for.
The duo all dressed in the traditional attire even sandal wood paste on their forehead and distributing flyers was pretty much like evangelical christain one encounter. I asked one simple question about Darwinian view and how ISKCON deals with it ? I don't know if she was prepared for that kind of question because her response totally blew it and her end goal seemed to be just going to heaven and ananda. I just wonder why people have to make life complicated with religious argument.

2 Comments:

Blogger food engineer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am into ISKCON from last 7 years, I just want to tell you one thing "Faith" matters a lot in ISKCON.Frankly, I am not totally convinced with the philosophy, but things like chanting is good. I follow there rules but sometimes feel like break free everything and enjoy life which is contradictory to the philosophy. Still in dilema.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter