Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Leonardo and Van Gogh


While taking a study break at the Morris Library I came across these two wonderful books. I have read few books about Leonardo da Vinci, so I had some idea about what to expect. Its a good collection of many of Leonardo's painting. I liked that book shows you the close up of some of his more paintings including the last supper and Monalisa. Leonardo was a bitter rival of his younger contemporary Michelangelo. He didn't paint a whole lot of paintings but whatever he did have been cherished by many people. So in this book you will see all his famous paintings and a little vignette about each which gives more meaning to his paintings. It doesn't focus on his other drawings especially the human anatomy and scribes. Its a artists view of Leonardo and so all his geometrical sketches are also overlooked. Its a small book meant for artists and if you want to know his artist side this is a good book.
The Book on Van Gogh is pretty good and I especially liked it because I was only aware of very few paintings of Van Gogh. Vincent did several of his sketches. His painting style is very different. It seems like he paints with cylindrical pixels. The book was an eye opener to me. I didn't know that he paint so many portraits and his own bedroom. I loved the one in prison, the chapel and the more sombre one about potato feast. Do check this book out. Its a visual treat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter