Saturday, July 23, 2005

Crotchet

Today we learn this new word "Crotchet".
Dictionary.com gives the following meanings

An odd, whimsical, or stubborn notion.
Music. See quarter note.
Obsolete. A small hook or hooklike structure.

Bartelby.com gave

The needlework called crochet (pronounced kro-SHAI) was once spelled both crotchet (now obsolete) and its present crochet, and the intricate stitches of crochet were once called crotchets too. Now crotchet (pronounced KRAH-chit) means “a quirk or idiosyncrasy, an eccentricity,” and the adjective simply describes someone full of such eccentricities and therefore peevish and difficult to get on with. Apparently most of the problems involve misspelling the eccentricity as crochet.

That is I think a better definition. I remember my mom once sewed me a crotchet hat. It was maroon color and the pronunciation I learnt was Kro-shai, which is correct too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter