Saturday, May 12, 2012

Holiday: day 1


 Today was the first day of my 3 day vacation. I wanted to go to Sinhoukville but then I decided against it. I really wanted a break when I would do nothing (may be reading). The trip required putting in 11 hrs one way and so it was going to be way too much time spent just reaching the destination. On saturdays I help Cambodian students learn some math. Today we went over the idea of how to derive the sum of first n^3 natural number. I showed them the idea which I found on Polya's book. I think its neater because once you have learned to add first n numbers then its a natural to ask what is the sum of first n^2 and n^3 and they can be easily derived by looking at the ratio Sn^2/Sn and Sn^3/Sn. We also went over some standard geometric constructions and transverse line idea. Then I briefed them about perfect numbers and their connection with the Mersenne prime numbers. I wanted to talk about Fermat primes and Sophie Germain primes but ran out of time. I am pinning my hope that I am able to give some solid foundation to these kids and get them excited about Math. I am glad that after the very first class which was suppose to be a trial class they overwhelmingly voted to have me as a teacher. I hope when I look back I will be happy to have made a positive contribution to the enhancement of their math skills and thinking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter