Friday, January 28, 2011

Linux Mint

Well I have been using a persistent version of Linux Mint for now some time and I must confess I am mighty impressed by it. I can use my USB drive in different computers and all my configurations appear the same. All my most used softwares are installed and it doesn't take long to boot. My USB drive also doubles up as a storage device. So its almost like carrying your computer without the need to carry the bulky hardware. Linux Mint is perhaps better in some case than Ubuntu because you have access to all the software Ubuntu provides plus some of the quirks of Mint. For ex ctrl-alt-del is not in Ubuntu and so its hard to kill a task when some process gets stuck. The navigation menu and categorisation of software is better done in Mint. I also installed on my sister's 4Gb drive and I wonder Linux has now more bells and whistles and pretty much any software you find for windows now also has a linux installation. I now use both Maple and Sage on my Linux. For paint I use Gimp and mypaint. My Wacom is detected automatically as I plug in. I have Geogebra, Gap and Maxima for other Math related work. My VLC player plays my DVD. Rythym box gets my pod cast. I have a torrent client too. The Xournal lets me do presentation and annotations. Cheese for web cam and empathy and google talk for instant messaging. Open office for my presentation needs. Freemind, mnemosyne and Parley for learning. What more can you ask ? Its time you should switch to Linux too :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter